3 Days Selous Game Reserve - Fly-in Safari.
Selous Game Reserve is the largest game reserve in Africa. At a vast 56,000sqkm it is the size of Switzerland, and is, without question, one of the most important refuges for large mammals on the planet. UNESCO have recognized this by giving it World Heritage status, but they also recognize the pressure on it, and have currently deemed it threatened.
- You'll go to Tanzania and this tour starts and ends in Zanzibar (Tanzania).
- You'll visit Selous Game Reserve.
- Activities: game drives, walking safaris (with an armed guide), nature hikes/walks & boat safari
- Game drives & Getting around: open-sided 4x4 vehicle and air transfer.
- A transfer from and back to the airport (or hotel) is included
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour can be arranged for extra cost
Day by Day Itinerary
- You'll be collected from the airport (or hotel).
- Accommodation before the tour departs can be arranged for extra cost.
Day 1: Zanzibar - Selous Game Reserve.
Your flight to the UNESCO World heritage site of Selous Game Reserve will leave Zanzibar at 0800 and takes one hour. You will be met at the airstrip in Selous by your Selous River Camp guide who will transfer you to the lodge. En route, you will enjoy your first experience of this incredible and diverse reserve. After lunch, Sunset cruise on our comfortable river boat, looking at hippos, crocodiles and birds, and enjoying the spectacular sunset over this enormous river
Day 2: Selous Game Reserve
After your first night in Selous, awake early to a dawn chorus and spectacular views from your room (“banda”). After a quick cup of tea or coffee, head into the reserve as dawn breaks for a full day game drive in a specially modified safari vehicle with a professional guide, in which you should see and learn much about a large number of animals, including all the great favorites – lion, elephant, giraffe, buffalo, zebra – and all the other major species including the now rare African hunting dog. Great variety of bird species. Wonderful scenery, with varied topography: wetlands, dry grassland, light acacia forest and higher ground with long views to far-off mountains..
Packed lunch and time to rest. Your guide will select a location with shade and water nearby to watch animals coming to drink – a place with a clear view all round so that no predator can creep up unseen! Back to the lodge by 6.30 for sunset and dinner when you’re ready.
Day 3: Selous Game Reserve - Zanzibar.
Up early for a walk through the bush and along the riverbank to learn about the local environment. Back after the walk for breakfast, and then departure for Dar Es Salaam or Zanzibar.
- Park fees (for non-residents)
- All activities (unless labeled as optional)
- All accommodation (unless listed as upgrade)
- All flights during the tour
- A professional driver/guide
- All transportation (unless labeled as optional)
- All Taxes/VAT
- Round trip airport transfer
- Meals (as specified in the day-by-day section)
- Drinking water (on all days)
- International flights (from/to home)
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Tips (tipping guideline US$10.00 pp per day)
- Personal items (souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees, etc.)
- Government imposed increase of taxes and/or park fees